Friday, June 26, 2009

It's the same old arguement again.

My husband plays volleyball every Thursday night at a local bar. It's something he's done for a couple years now, and he really enjoys. He gets a night out with his friends, and a little exercise too...no harm in that, right?

Well here's the thing; "volleyball" seems to mean "a night out drinking". Nothing really wrong with that either, to a certain extent. It has become a habit.

This season, my husband is the Team Captain for the first time, and he has also been inviting me to come regularly. I have been to most of the games so far this season, but the night usually ends with the entire group getting way too drunk. Lets face it: a 21 year old getting way too drunk is not unusual- it's almost expected that they will at least a couple times- but a 35 year old father, husband and businessman getting too drunk is pathetic. Last week one member even ended up getting thrown out of the bar, and doesn't really remember it.

So yes, I'm the "responsible" one. I can have a few drinks with friends, but know when to stop. I have to work early on Friday mornings, so I can't be out 'till all hours. I don't want to go in to work hung over, plus I need my sleep. I'm the type who wants to call it a night at about 10:30, but the rest of the group, my hubby included, is most definetly not. We frequently have arguments about when to go home or how much alcohol is too much to consume in one evening, and it seems that these arguments always lead to the silent treatment. Last night was no different.

Yesterday he called to tell me that his game was at 6. I was having a stressful day at work and thought I'd like to just stay home and relax, so I told him I didn't think I would go this time. Well, I got persuaded to go.

We had a few drinks at the usual bar, then headed off to another that's closer to home and had Karaoke (yes, we sang). All were having a good ol' time until the subject was brought up once again.

I think drinking and driving is wrong. There's no other way to put that, there just isn't. It is endangering yourself and everyone else on the road. It's just not worth the risk.

My beloved husband has already been picked up twice for driving while intoxicated. This was before he and I met, and I have been assured that he is not "that guy" anymore. He has only just finished paying the fines incurred from last time, and had spent a night or two in jail. He had lost his license for a while, and had to attend "drunk class". I knew about all this when he and I met- he was honest with me. But I told him as well exactly where I stood on that issue. I told him in no uncertain terms that if he was ever picked up again and got a third offense, that I would have to leave him. I can't respect someone who cannot respect themselves, others, and the law.

I probably wouldn't really divorce him- I love him- but I'm not okay with this type of disrespect and irresponsibility! I had to make it known that there were consequenses. His actions do reflect on me; we're a couple now. I don't want to find myself having to say "oh, my husband's in jail (for another OWI)" or "I have to leave early today to pick up my husband again- he hasn't gotten his license back yet". Please, don't do that to me! I don't do that to you!

I have already been turned down for car insurance too, on my own car that he has never driven, because of his drunk driving record. I had to bear that part of the punishment for something that happened before he and I even met. And what if we had children? What would they think of daddy then? What does that say to the kids?! And the fines would take away precious dollars that could go towards so many other things.

How is drinking worth jail time, fines, and losing the privelage to drive? Is alcohol really THAT important? Sure go have a good time...but before you drive yourself home after a few too many, wait half an hour. Drink some water. Or call a friend or a cab to take you home. But don't risk your life, or anyone else's. And don't risk a drunk driving offense (or another)! It just isn't worth all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment